Sunday 4 February 2018

Godrevy, Mutton Cove seal colony, Hells Mouth and Porthtowan.


The only reason I travelled Down to Godrevy and Hell,s Mouth was because I have been following the Belfast Busker on his youtube channel and came across some of the fantastic cliff tops walks that he and his little companion "Scruffy" do.
After checking the area on google I set off on a 70-mile drive, arriving in the evening in the town of Hayle I managed to find a suitable stopover for my first night of many, the walks and views were to die for the highlight for me were finding the seal colony at Mutton Cove.
Another thing that made the journey worthwhile was me meeting The Belfast Busker and Scruffy In one of my stopover spots I hope to meet up with them both again.
Spent the night at Godrevy just near the lighthouse that's on Godrevy Island this place overlooks St Ives Bay with the towns of Hayle, Porthtowan and Camborne close by also Redruth St Ives along with Penzance is an easy drive from Godrevy.
Firstly I must tell you in the early evening when I arrived there I parked up and went for a quick look around and while walking past a toilet block I was sure that I could hear somebody crying out bear in mind it was very windy and belting down cats and dogs.
I did not pay much attention to the noise passing it off as the sea howling anyway on the way back I thought I go and see if the toilet block was open on getting closer I heard a faint cry coming from the toilets.
I shouted out and to my surprise, there was a weak reply from a lady that had got herself locked in well actually it was more of not having the strength to pull the handle and push the heavy metal door.
The poor old girl was 86 years old so I walked her back to her car in the car park about 1/3 of a mile away made sure she was up to driving her self back home I don't know if she would have coped if nobody had heard her cry for help.
The night was wet and very windy no change there been like this most of the last 3 months now anyway I managed to get a bit of filming done at daybreak fighting with the wind was a major issue after a short walk along the cliff top no more than 500 meters before I found another bay ( Mutton Cove ) this is an easy walk for anybody with only a slight incline in the summer there is a large grassed car park very close both to the lighthouse and Mutton Cove.
 Mutton Cove is a small inaccessible cove that is, in fact, a seal colony and I was looking down on them this is probably one of the best sights I have ever come across, thankfully I had my tripod and camera set up and ready to go.
 The next hour was spent trying to get something down on film without disturbing them one of the seals was very aware of my presence and let me know it given the distance that separated use they must have excellent eyesight and hearing.
 After I left Godrevy I stopped off at Hells Mouth to take a few photos before carrying onto Portreath this is a nice little harbour town no real shops only a well over priced Costcutters and a Bakery next door the walks up the clifftops ( Godrevy - Portreath Heritage Coast Path )  gave you the best view of the town which was packed with house,s and I mean really packed.  see the following photos and videos of each place below.

Note The town of Hayle must be the only town that has neither a town centre or square  yet the main road which must be 2 miles long has shops at the start then bugger all till you reach the other end where a large Asda stands with a small Spar shop and a bakery in its shadows. The Harbour and the estuary walks along with the beaches more than make up for the poor town.


Hell's Mouth

Hell's Mouth

Portreath car park

Nice View just above the Harbour

























Porthtown.Asking price of one of these £275.000





By Hayle Harbour






















Hayle Harbour


















Our Parking spot

















My Neighbour the the night















                                               The Seals At Mutton Cove

No comments:

Post a Comment