Monday 19 February 2018

The Drive from Davidstowe to Callington and beyond


Sorry for having no notes on my time in Bodmin I did write quite a lot ( well a lot for me anyway)  about my time on the moors and some of the places I visited but I have yet again got a problem with my F**kin computer I have managed to save some of my videos and notes this time but only the ones from the dash cam at least you will see the drive through the rest have gone to Video Heaven .

Quick notes updates
I have ordered two more batteries for my drone this is a better option and cheaper than upgrading my drone I also have found a way to take the landing gear off as well this will make it a lot easier to carry around when hiking. At least now it will fit into a backpack I still like the idea of a foldable drone maybe next year.

Went to the Jamaica Inn for a Sunday carvery the cost was a reasonable £12.00 plus £4.50 for a pint of the black stuff the Guinness was wonderful and went down well, however, the carvery was well below parr food was cold there was plenty of meat on your plate but little else. I have most certainly eaten much better for less cost one of the best around places around here is the Red Post Inn near Bude.

At the moment I am sitting alongside and above the A30 counting the amount of Motorhomes, Campervans and Van conversions heading further down south I'm up to 150 in the first hour and a half of being here.
 Yesterday I managed around a 15-mile bike/walk along some of the back roads into the hills, unfortunately, the videos were lost in the incident with my computer.

*************************************************************************

The  Drive from Davidstowe to Callington and Beyond
I started off from Davidstowe along the A395 stopping at the Hidden Valley this looks like a good place to take the kids for a day out being out of season I was not able to see much.
After my shortstop, I got onto the A30 and then onto the A388 driving past Hexworthy and Treburley into the main town of Callington more like a large village really. A  nice church a pub and a CO-OP and a few other small shops still nice enough for a stop.
I then got onto the A390 towards Liskeard now I'm turning onto the B3254 this is where the roads start to get narrow and twisty and I start to get out of my comfort zone heading up and past a few English Heritage Sites namely Trehevy Quoit, King Doniert,s Stone along with Golitha Falls and the Hurlers Stone Circles.
Carrying on I drive through the Caradon Mining District stopping at a place named Congdon,s Shop for a rest and a welcome cup of tea then onto the B3257 and the A30 towards Bolventor.
Bolventor is where the world famous Jamaica Inn Stands to me this Inn is now being overdeveloped and starting to lose its real charm and character a good place for my stopover though.
In the morning took a drive to Colliford lake only about four mile from the Inn nice for a walk I was told there is a cafe somewhere near the lakeside now from there I moved into Bodmin Town a quick walk around the outskirts plus a bit of shopping at Morrisons, and Halfords now back to my van.
Making my way back towards the Jamaica Inn I stopped off at Bodmin airfield watched a few light aircraft land and take off, now for a drive onto the moors finding even narrower and twister roads I was well out of my comfort zone yet again.
Had enough now so retracing my drive to get off the moors about 2 miles into the drive of the moors I had a tailback of about 5 cars so doing the right thing I pulled over into a small passing place and let them on their way.
Big mistake I was only about 300 meters from my turning, I found myself bogged down in the loose gravel 15 minutes later managed to get myself going so much for doing a good Deed not be doing that again.






No comments:

Post a Comment